Meg's Minions

Meg's Minions
Everyone Needs a Sidekick

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New inspirations from Asheville, NC

Recently, I've been struggling with how to expand my business and thought:  I can't expand if I don't have ample lines of products that make sense to the overall identity of the company!  I've got two craft fairs on deck for November and will have to start producing now to be able to accommodate the quick turnaround of the fairs being back to back.  I was significantly tempted to participate in a fair down in NC, but the outright costs at this moment are too much for me to invest in, so I will concentrate on being awesome come winter!

Over the weekend I designed a new catnip toy... a goldfish!  The image provided here is just of the prototype and taken for scale.  So far, the test kitty whole-heartedly approved it!  I'm excited because I will get to use bright colors and make this a fun little display.  My mind started reeling because I thought a small vignette would be fun... an aquarium.  Make a series of goldfish (and maybe some clownfish) and make little brain coral balls.  At the very least, I look forward to making a variety of fish that are tropical colored in addition to playing around with themes.  Dying to try a punk fish that is black with hot pink stitching around the edges and for the eyes.  If you have any ideas, let me know!!


In my travels in Asheville this weekend, I not only visited the local Michaels for the great sale on Impeccable worsted weight yarn which is perfect for amigurumi, but also a local yarn store.  Purl's Yarn Emporium http://www.purlsyarnemporium.com/Purls_Yarn_Emporium/Home.html is a fantastic shop that has super nice folks and provide some fantastic fibers.  What I really love about them is that they incorporate local yarns and promote a community atmosphere.  It's also situated in downtown Asheville which has some really awesome shops and restaurants.  Think next time I visit down there, I may just crochet in different cafes and at Purl's.

To get back on track with the goal of this post, I picked up two merino roving type yarns from Purls.  One hank that reminds me of fire, and the other of ice.  I am trying to finish my current minion orders before working on cowls with these fibers.  If it works out then I will definitely need to get back down there and buy up their stock of it!

Well, back to the drudgery of the day, looking forward to running home and finishing up some minions so that I can create new looks and designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of my work, what you would like to see me make, or what inspires your creativity.